Port of Newcastle
Construction of new container handling hardstand and land side infrastructure at Mayfield 4 Berth Multi-Purpose Cargo Handling Facility at the Port of Newcastle.
Scope of work:
- Construction of a new REX access road around the proposed hardstand to accommodate existing facilities
- Bulk earthworks in accordance with the site wide Contaminated Site Management Plan and site specific Contaminated Land Management Plan
- Installation of stormwater drainage in existing operational berth and proposed hardstand areas
- Heavy duty asphalt pavement
- Reticulation of site utilities, including fire, potable water, power and communications
- Piling and installation of 35m lighting towers
- Security Fencing and adjustments
Highlights and challenges:
The site formed part of the former BHP steelworks and was subject to various Environmental and Contaminated Site Management Plans. KCE were required to test, classify, monitor and manage the various classes of materials that were encountered on the site, including ensuring that the required materials were reinstated and appropriately capped on completion of the works. KCE engaged Qualtest to assist with this work and provide the Site Validation report.
Significant inground obstacles were also encountered that presented challenges to the installation of underground services as well as the structural adequacy of some of the designed components. KCE worked collaboratively with PoN to overcome these issues and deliver the project into service.
Shipping operations continued at M4 Berth throughout the term of the Contract. KCE, in conjunction with various stakeholders, managed the completion of the works without delay to shipping movements or Cargo Handling.